Protein Lemon Donuts
I absolutely love these donuts! They’re light, airy and have a subtle sweetness. They’re only 66 calories each so guilt-free and can be eaten plain or with a glaze.
- 31g vanilla-based protein powder (preferably whey/casein blend)
- 30g all purpose flour
- 85g non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
Note: I used more vanilla extract because I'm not a fan of the protein powder I use. I had to "develop" the vanilla taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl
- Mix the wet ingredients in separate bowl (including extracts)
- Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Take your time. Try not to overbeat it. As soon as you see it's all mixed together, stop.
- Let the mix sit for about 2-3 minutes.
- Spray your donut molds with nonstick spray.
- Place donuts in the oven for about 8-10 minutes. Some ovens cook faster than others so watch them. Use a toothpick to test if the certain is cooked. Personally, I like the tops to brown just a little but it's your personal preference.
- Allow the donuts to cool.
Icing/frosting is optional. You can eat donuts plain but if you prefer a light glaze:
- 1 tbsp confectioners sweetener (0 calories)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (you can also use lemon if you prefer more lemon)
- Add water for your desired thickness